Short Story based on a true life incident

Short Story based on a true life incident


Having got encouraging response to my first attempt at writing a short story here I go with my second attempt.

This is based on a true  incident in my life around 15 years ago.  The story is written on a first person narration.  It was an incident which happened unexpectedly one day and forgotten after some days/years. 

Now when I have ample time on hand and having taken up blogging/story telling as a pastime I am polishing it and narrating as an interesting(hopefully) story.

It was a pleasant August morning in Mumbai. There were intermittent drizzles which kept the atmosphere cool which was typical of the Mumbai monsoon season. But as soon as the drizzle stopped one started sweating because of the atmosphere pregnant with moisture making it very humid.

Me and my wife set out that Sunday morning to attend a wedding. One of my Maharashtrian friends' son was getting married. To add spice it was a love marriage between a girl from a higher caste to the boy who was from a lower caste. My friend had told me that after initially opposing  the match the girl's parents had reluctantly agreed.

We are staying in Navi Mumbai and the wedding was in a 'Shubh Mangal Karyalay' in Dadar. So we caught a harbour train to Wadala and took a taxi from there to the hall.

We got down at Wadala and before we boarded a taxi there was a quick passing shower which we escaped by a whisker. As a true Mumbaikar I was avoiding carrying an umbrella taking my chances much to the disagreement of my wife.

We reached the wedding hall which was slowly filling up. Not much crowd there. My friend having only invited a close circle of friends and relatives.  Finally the Bhatji gave the call for the girl's and boy's group to get ready as the auspicious time was coming up.

I was chatting with some of my other friends who were meeting my wife for the first time and the round of introductions were on. We were discussing "Kanyadaan" , one of the most important rituals of a Hindu wedding , where the girls father gives away his daughter to the groom's family. The "Mangalya Dharan" follows this ritual and the marriage is complete. The bride is then transferred to the groom's family and has to change  her Gothra. I was telling my friends how it was impossible for me to do 'Kanyadaan' as I had no daughters. I had three sons only and now nearing 60 years old, no further chance of producing a daughter let alone live up to her marriage even if I produce one!


Suddenly we all saw some frenzied activity where the bride and groom party were assembled  and a whole lot of commotion and I sensed something amiss. Me and another friend ambled closer to get a clearer view of the goings on.  It seems  the bride's parents had refused to go ahead with the wedding citing the caste difference. Some elders in their community had threatened them to banish them from their caste of they go ahead with the marriage. My friend was at his wits end. This sudden last minute action from the bride's side was totally unexpected. The bride's parents walked out promising never to see her daughter's face again for bringing disrepute to the family.

Timely action was the need of the hour as the auspicious time was nearing. I asked the Bhatji what could be the solution? The Bhatji said if everyone agrees then the 'Kanyadaan' could be done by a proxy father.

Suddenly an idea flashed across my mind. I could kill two birds with one stone. If I volunteer to become the proxy father , the marriage could go ahead and I will also be able to do 'Kanyadaan'. I told my friend about it and he was overjoyed. He asked if anyone present would have any objection to this solution. The bride's parents having walked out the idea was unanimously accepted by all present. Nobody wanted to miss the lunch after the wedding having ventured out on a Sunday morning!!! I became the proxy father and the marriage was conducted in schedule. I gained a daughter and fulfilling my desire of doing 'Kanyadaan' !!!

Everyone was happy and all of us went home after a hearty meal. My only grouse was that as the bride's father i had to shell out the Bhatji's fees!!!!

My newly acquired daughter vowed never to visit her parents again. I told her that that she should not think that way. Time is a great healer and there will be a time in the near future when she will be re-united with them. After all she owed her very existence them , I told her. She was adamant and was telling everyone that I was her father from now on since I saved her marriage. 

Two years down the line the girl produced a son and as I had predicted (time was a great healer), the grand parents went to see their grandson. But their daughter would have none of it. She told them that unless they take permission from me, her father, she would not allow. I was again brought in to the picture and I advised the daughter to forgive them. She relented and acted on my saying and there was a great reunion. 

There was happiness all around.

I hope you like the story!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Well as u had predicted TIME IS THE GREATEST HEALER.I cud nt believe the girl's logic in taking yr clearance b4 allowing her natural father to see the grandchild.Admirable quality of the girl indeed.If u still feel the burden of hvg paid the Bhatjee's small(must be insignificant compared to what a south indian father wud hv paid),girl's natural father must be allowed to reimburse a token amt as U&yr learned wife had already derived gr8 satisfaction out of Kanyadhaan.
Strange are the ways of God.Yr story is jighly inspiring.
Ashnfire said…
This is perhaps one story that I have heard from you and recalled it when I read through. Such a memorable experience. And your desire to be the father of a bride came through this incident. Strange are the ways of life. Your gentle heartedness would obviously give you such beautiful experiences. Loads of love and hugs Periappa. Looking forward to more from you.
Krishnan V said…
Nice reading.
Unknown said…
An ideal done and dusted. Time is The Biggest Healer. Yes and am still intrigued by Humans who keep bickering upon certain basics which makes them blind to the Whole Picture, That Life is much bigger than Individuals. Rules are created for the specific purpose of streamlining Life rather than creating obstructions is
Aks&ice said…
I vaguely remember this incident but now got to know what exactly happened. It was an amazing read. All is well that ends well �� liked the happy ending
S.Balu said…
Your sponta decision to fully back a bride who was about to tie the knot at the wedding hall and unfortunately forsaken by her parents was too generous beyond words. The deep rooted social malady of caste prejudices and hatred creates disunity in our society. Fortunately the story ends on a happy note. Hope time heals this social malady in coming decades.

Popular posts from this blog

Aippaasi (Seventh Month) The Festivals in Aippasi

Masi (Eleventh Month) The Festivals in Masi

Aani ( Third Month) - The Festivals in Aani